STAND-UP COMEDY: ROASTING INDONESIAN CELEBRITIES

 





(Netflix Roast Edition – Absolutely No Survivors)

Opening

Good evening everybody!

Let's talk about Indonesian celebrities.

Because nowhere else on Earth can someone become famous for absolutely nothing...

...and then spend ten years being interviewed about it.

Being a celebrity used to mean you had talent.

You could sing.

Act.

Dance.

Now?

Sometimes the achievement is simply surviving the algorithm.

Some celebrities aren't famous because they're good.

They're famous because they keep appearing.

Like online ads.

You don't like them.

You don't need them.

But somehow they're everywhere.


Main Content

The thing I love most about Indonesian celebrities is how versatile they are.

One year they're singers.

Next year actors.

Then politicians.

Then religious speakers.

Then podcasters.

At this point they're evolving faster than Pokémon.

One celebrity releases two songs.

Suddenly he's discussing national economic policy.

Bro...

Three months ago you were arguing on reality TV.

Why are you explaining fiscal reform?

I don't ask economists to release albums.

Stay in your lane.

And every celebrity eventually starts a podcast.

Every.

Single.

One.

Indonesia doesn't have a population problem.

We have a podcast problem.

Everybody has a microphone.

Nobody has expertise.

A celebrity wakes up one morning and says:

"You know what society needs?"

"My opinions."

No.

No it doesn't.

Some podcasts are just two uninformed people confidently discussing topics neither of them understands.

It's not a conversation.

It's a live broadcast of misinformation.

And then there's the celebrity apology cycle.

The most reliable industry in Indonesia.

Scandal.

Trending.

Apology.

Podcast appearance.

Repeat.

Some celebrities produce more clarifications than actual work.

Their Wikipedia page isn't a career history.

It's a crime scene timeline.

And every apology follows the same script.

"If I made mistakes..."

IF?

IF?

Bro, we're not debating this.

There's video evidence.

The mistake has its own hashtag.

Then comes:

"I am only human."

Exactly.

That's the problem.

Humans are expected to know better.

Imagine a pilot crashing a plane and saying:

"Guys, relax. I'm only human."

No.

We're going to need a stronger statement.

And let's talk about celebrities who become religious experts overnight.

One spiritual retreat.

Three Instagram quotes.

Suddenly they're delivering life lessons.

Bro, last month you were throwing champagne at people in a nightclub.

Now you're explaining enlightenment?

That's a character development arc even Netflix would reject.

And the audience eats it up.

Because Indonesians love redemption stories.

You can spend ten years making bad decisions.

Cry once in a podcast.

Boom.

National inspiration.

Meanwhile normal people don't get redemption arcs.

If I embarrass myself publicly, I don't get invited to a talk show.

I get blocked.

And then there are celebrities famous for controversy.

Not talent.

Controversy.

Their entire career strategy is:

Cause problem.

Go viral.

Repeat.

Some celebrities aren't public figures.

They're software updates.

Every month there's a new issue.

And media companies love it.

Because talent is expensive.

Drama is free.

A singer spends years perfecting her voice.

Gets one article.

Another celebrity accidentally starts a public feud.

Thirty interviews.

Breaking news.

Documentary.

Netflix adaptation.

Amazing business model.

And social media made everything worse.

Because celebrities now document every second of their lives.

Breakfast.

Lunch.

Gym.

Vacation.

Relationship.

Breakup.

Reconciliation.

Another breakup.

Bro, that's not content.

That's surveillance footage.

Some celebrities don't have private lives anymore.

Their existence is a reality show with Wi-Fi.

And my favorite species:

The "humble" celebrity.

The celebrity who posts:

"I'm so grateful for this simple life."

Attached to a photo taken on a yacht.

Wearing a watch worth a university degree.

Standing next to a car that costs more than a hospital wing.

Simple?

Brother, that's not simple.

That's the final boss of capitalism.

And let's be honest.

Some celebrities are famous because they're talented.

Others are famous because they're attractive.

And a few are famous because collectively, as a society, we lost focus.

Nobody knows why they're famous.

Not even them.

Interviewer:

"What is your greatest achievement?"

Celebrity:

"Honestly, I'm still trying to figure that out."

Fair answer.

Respect.


Closing

I don't hate celebrities.

I actually appreciate them.

They're entertaining.

They inspire people.

They create jobs.

And most importantly...

They remind us that being famous and being qualified are two completely different things.

Because in Indonesia, if you're famous long enough...

People eventually assume you're an expert in everything.

Politics.

Religion.

Economics.

Relationships.

Astronomy.

Quantum mechanics.

Why not?

Thank you everybody!

Give it up for Indonesian celebrities...

The only people who can turn a minor inconvenience into a press conference, a podcast episode, a documentary, and a sponsorship deal.

Posting Komentar

Lebih baru Lebih lama
Iklan Meguru English