STAND-UP COMEDY: ROASTING SANTRI & PESANTREN LIFE

 

(Boarding School Survivor Edition)

Opening

Good evening everybody!

Any former pesantren students here tonight?

Please clap...

So we can identify who still wakes up automatically before dawn.

Because pesantren students are different.

Normal teenagers spend years learning independence.

Santri?

We learn survival.

A pesantren is basically:

"What if adolescence came with military discipline and religious homework?"

And somehow people think it's peaceful.

Peaceful?

Bro, I shared a room with twelve teenagers.

Nothing peaceful happens when twelve teenage boys live together.


Main Content

People think pesantren students are extremely disciplined.

And that's true.

Mostly because we had no choice.

The alarm rings before sunrise.

You wake up.

Pray.

Study.

Memorize.

Study again.

Pray again.

Repeat.

By the age of 16, I had a schedule busier than some CEOs.

Meanwhile my friends outside were arguing about which video game to play.

I was arguing with myself about whether I was awake or sleepwalking.

And let's talk about dormitory life.

The greatest lesson in patience.

You learn quickly that privacy is a myth.

In a dormitory, nothing belongs to you.

Your pillow?

Public property.

Your sandals?

Community resource.

Your snacks?

National treasure.

You buy cookies at night.

Wake up in the morning.

Gone.

Nobody saw anything.

Nobody knows anything.

The investigation ends immediately.

Pesantren students are so good at hiding evidence they could work in intelligence agencies.

And every dormitory has that one guy.

The Alarm Clock Hero.

He wakes up before everyone.

Makes sure everybody wakes up too.

Not because he cares.

Because suffering loves company.

You hear:

"WAKE UP! WAKE UP!"

Bro, if you're already going to heaven, go quietly.

Leave us alone.

And there is always one student who memorizes everything effortlessly.

The rest of us are struggling.

Sweating.

Repeating the same line 300 times.

This guy reads it once.

Done.

I don't think he's a student.

I think he's a software update.

And let's discuss food.

People always ask:

"How was the food?"

Let me put it this way.

When you're hungry enough, everything becomes delicious.

The menu wasn't food.

It was a character-building program.

The chef wasn't cooking meals.

The chef was teaching gratitude.

And somehow every pesantren has a legendary rumor.

"This year's food is better."

Nobody has ever verified it.

The rumor simply survives from generation to generation.

Like ancient folklore.

And the friendships?

Unbreakable.

Because nothing creates friendship faster than collective suffering.

You study together.

Get punished together.

Get sleepy together.

Get caught laughing at the wrong time together.

That's not friendship.

That's trauma bonding.

And every pesantren has at least one senior who acts like a retired war veteran.

He's only 18 years old.

But somehow speaks like he's survived three decades of conflict.

"When I was your age..."

Bro, you're six months older than me.

Relax.

And let's talk about letters and phone calls.

Back then, talking to family felt like negotiating a hostage release.

You finally get access to a phone.

You call home.

Three minutes later:

"Time's up."

What?

I just said hello.

Even prisoners get longer conversations.

And then there's the magical transformation after graduation.

People assume former santri are always wise.

Always calm.

Always mature.

Absolutely not.

We just learned how to look serious.

Inside, we're still confused.

We've simply mastered the facial expression.

And somehow, whenever a family gathering has a religious question, everybody turns toward the former pesantren student.

"Can you explain this?"

Brother...

I graduated three years ago.

I've forgotten half of my passwords.

Why do you think I'm carrying unlimited wisdom?


Closing

But honestly...

Being a santri was one of the best experiences of my life.

It taught discipline.

Patience.

Friendship.

Humility.

And most importantly...

How to sleep anywhere.

On floors.

On chairs.

On books.

During free time.

During waiting time.

During any time.

Thank you everybody!

Give it up for pesantren students...

The only people who can survive strict schedules, crowded dormitories, disappearing snacks, endless memorization, and lack of sleep...

Then call it "the good old days."

Posting Komentar

Lebih baru Lebih lama
Iklan Meguru English